Episode 27: “How to Move From Just Managing to Leading”
Co-Hosts Tywauna Wilson, Lona Small, and Stephanie Whitehead discuss various strategies for moving from just managing to leading.
Key Takeaways from the show:
Fundamental differences between managers and leaders
- Leaders create a vision, managers create goals.
- Leaders are change agents, managers maintain the status quo
- Leaders are unique, managers copy
- Leaders take risks, managers control risk
The perils of confusing management and leadership
- Confusing job satisfaction and employee engagement
- Evaluate employee retention and absenteeism
- Micromanagement can arise
- Adhere to compliance can be affected
- Continue to grow your leader competencies (Growth happens daily, not in a day)
- Get to know your team so that you can drive on the motivators that they have
- Move from being transactional to being transformation
- Learn from your mistakes along the way
- Assess your current state by doing an assessment to know if you are operating more as a manager or leader
- Make a plan
- Choose a new competency in leadership and keep building on that
Be a Supporter!Listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts or your favorite podcast platformDon’t forget to subscribe to the show on your phone, tablet or notebook so you never miss an episode!Be sure to leave a comment, and share with a fellow medical laboratory professionals!
Be a Guest!If you have a leadership or laboratory message to share and would like to be a guest on the show, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or Direct Impact Broadcasting on Social Media.