Episode 34: “I Own It! Protecting My Brand”- Nuzayra Haque
Nuzayra Haque is a virtual attorney based out of Los Angeles, California. She owns NH Legal. Nuzayra counsels U.S. and international clients on obtaining and protecting trademarks and copyrights, branding strategies, IP portfolio management, trade secrets, data protection, GDPR and U.S privacy law compliance and other commercial matters. As a creative entrepreneur and small business owner herself, Nuzayra loves working with startups and creative professionals and has represented clients in cannabis, technology, design, fashion and entertainment. One of the first attorneys to successfully obtain federal trademark protection in the cannabis industry, Nuzayra was named in the Daily Journal‘s ‘Top Women Attorneys’ for 2017. Since 2015, she has been recognized as a Super Lawyers Rising Star in Southern California for intellectual property, an award made to only 2.5% of attorneys in the region. She is often featured in legal and business outlets as an expert in intellectual property, her latest interview on intellectual property rights for cannabis brands was published on Yahoo! Finance. She also recently served on the Board of Directors of the South Asian Bar Association of Southern California. Nuzayra holds the honor of being both a California attorney and a barrister in England and Wales, having been called to the Bar at Lincoln’s Inn in London. She attended the University of Southern California’s Gould School of Law, where she was awarded the Dean’s Merit Scholarship. In the UK, she received law degrees from BPP Law School in Leeds and Northumbria University, graduating with honors, in Newcastle. During her spare time Nuzayra loves hanging out with her husband and their pet cat Kiba while entertaining friends and family.
A few tidbits Nuzayra shared:
- Leadership skills can start in school with organizing an event or internship
- Collaboration over competition
- Can find coaches and mentors via social media, podcasts, in your university professors
- It is important to have proper systems in place long before you need them especially when you have an online business
- Take a holistic approach when looking at the bigger picture
- Think about a trademark in terms of brand identity
- Get involved with your local chamber
- Running a virtual business takes ambition and grit
Listen to the entire show for more tidbits with Nuzayra!
Connect with her at www.nhlegal.net or on FB and Instagram @iplawboutique