Episode 38: “The Untold Truth About Transitioning From Peer To Manager”
“The stress of a new manager is like a first date. You don’t know what to expect and you’re just hoping everything goes well”
Congratulations, You’ve been promoted!!
There is a ton of excitement that comes with this accomplishment in your career but there are also emotional challenges of the transition that you were unaware of. In the interview, none of the common sources of stress for new managers was even discussed. You are now feeling a wide range of emotions, including performance anxiety, confusion, regret, and even loss.
It’s tough to be a new manager but once you identify common sources of stress that could come up and potential strategies to minimize them, you will be on your way to getting acclimated to your new role and able to perform with ease.
Common Sources of Stress for New Managers:
- Role Strain- Facing conflict and overload in your position
- Too much work, too little time
- Problem Solving Fatigue
- Feeling like you have to solve every problem that arises for everyone
- Imposter Syndrome
- Inadequate feelings or struggling to hide it from others
- Missing your old work life and relationships while setting boundaries and acclimating to your new reality
Listen to the entire episode to hear the strategies for how to deal with each of these common sources of stress.
“The greatest challenge of a new manager is not the new job, but the old job.” – Coach Tee Wilson
- Which of these areas causes you the most amount of stress as a new manager?
- What was the best advice that you received as a new manager to overcome stress?
Call to Action
We would love to feature YOU!!! Share your favorite takeaway from today’s episode or anyone from this season: Video Review
Connect with Coach Tee Wilson
To connect with Tywauna for more on this and other leadership and personal development topics, visit: TywaunaWilson.com or connect with her on LinkedIn for the invitation to join the Trendy Elite Leadership Tidbits Community, where you can learn, grow and develop in the area of leadership, career, and personal development.
Be an eLABorate Supporter!
- Listen on directimpactbroadcasting.com, Spotify, Apple Podcast, or your favorite podcast platform
- Don’t forget to subscribe to the show on your phone, tablet, or notebook so you never miss an episode!
- Be sure to leave a comment, and share it with fellow medical laboratory professionals!
- Join our eLABorate Topics Group on LinkedIn
- Leave us a Video Review and we will feature you on our Social Media: Video Review
Be a Guest on our show!
If you have a leadership or laboratory message to share and would like to be a guest on the show, please reach out to us by completing the guest interest form or send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please tune in next week to hear another amazing episode of eLABorate Topics!