Episode 14: Navigating the Complexities of Hiring Foreign Healthcare Practitioners – Rex F. Famitangco
On this episode of eLABorate Topics, Tywauna Wilson and Stephanie Whitehead discuss navigating the complexities of hiring foreign healthcare practitioners in the US. They have an expert guest, Rex Famitangco, who provides pro tips for overcoming challenges and filling workforce shortages. Rex shares his personal journey from working in medical laboratories in the Philippines to his current leadership roles, emphasizing the importance of commitment and quality care in fulfilling his mission to serve the community. They discuss various topics, including the difficulty of finding housing for foreign workers, navigating the US immigration system, addressing technical competencies, and strategies for recruiting healthcare practitioners in rural areas.
- Advice for foreign practitioners who want to work in the US
- The complex US immigration system and related expenses
- Enhancing technical competencies and evaluating basic technical skills during recruitment
- Different ways potential candidates can be recruited, including social media and traditional print ads
- The importance of reviewing recruitment agreements and seeking legal advice if necessary
- Challenges faced by international laboratorians when trying to find a home when they first arrive in the US
- Protecting workers from racial discrimination and encouraging them to speak up if there are issues
Recruiting Agency Considerations: “Applicants must do his or her homework prior to committing to a specific recruitment agency. Scams are all over and everywhere.”- Rex F.
Featured Guest Bio
Rex F. Famitangco is a practicing Medical Laboratory Scientist & the Laboratory Administrative Director at Morrill County Community Hospital in Bridgeport, NE. Ever since childhood, his love for science and medical mysteries led him to pursue a degree in medical laboratory, where he followed his passion for helping others. Over the years, he has had multiple mentors who have pushed him to become a better laboratory professional. Life experiences are also a great motivational factor for Rex, particularly when he was unable to land a job due to his lack of ASCP certification. Doors might close, but life experiences have shown Rex that with hard work and dedication, there are always opportunities for growth and success. Rex formerly held roles as Program Director and Faculty of the MLT, MLA and PBT at Western Nebraska Community College in Scottsbluff, NE which he developed and started. He served as National President of the Philippine Association of Medical Technologists –USA, Inc. and is the founding President of PAMET-USA Nebraska Chapter. He currently serves as a member of the ASCP-BOC Board of Governors.
Connect with us on LinkedIn: eLABorate Topics Group and give us your feedback!
Join Team #eLABorate and connect with us!
Podcast Call to Action
We would love to feature YOU!!!
Share your favorite takeaway from today’s episode: Video Review
Be an eLABorate Supporter!
1. Listen on directimpactbroadcasting.com, Spotify, Apple Podcast, or your favorite podcast platform
2. Don’t forget to subscribe to the show on your phone, tablet, or notebook so you never miss an episode!
3. Be sure to leave a comment, and share it with fellow medical laboratory professionals!
4. Join our eLABorate Topics Group on LinkedIn
5. Leave us a Video Review and we will feature you on our Social Media: Video Review
Be a Guest on our show!
If you have a leadership or laboratory message to share and would like to be a guest on the show, please reach out to us by completing the guest interest form or send us an e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.