Episode 15: Unlocking the Secrets to Winning Professional Awards: Tips from Forty Under 40 Winners
On this episode of eLABorate Topics, host Tywauna Wilson interviews past ASCP Forty under 40 award winners Stephanie Whitehead and Tiffany “Medical Lab Lady” Gill. They share their leadership tips and talk about their laboratory journeys. Tiffany talks about receiving the Forty Under 40 award and what she did to make her application stand out. She also talks about how she stumbled into the laboratory profession and found it fulfilling. Stephanie emphasizes the importance of not giving up and networking with fellow laboratory professionals. Listeners will learn about the non-traditional experiences that can lead to a career in the laboratory profession and the importance of advocating for the profession.
Here are some key takeaways from the episode:
- Don’t be discouraged if you don’t get an award the first time you apply, as it’s common to apply multiple times before receiving recognition.
- Networking and making your application stand out by highlighting your impact and accomplishments are important steps toward growth in laboratory medicine.
- Finding a professional support system is crucial for advancing one’s career in laboratory medicine.
- Keep learning and growing.
Connect with us on LinkedIn: eLABorate Topics Group and give us your feedback!
Tiffany Gill a tenured professor and MLT Program Coordinator at the College of Southern Maryland. She is also the YouTuber and internet personality known as Medical Lab Lady Gill. Through her brand she spreads awareness of the medical laboratory’s role in the Healthcare team while providing resources and support for laboratory educators, students, and practicing professionals. Professor Gill is an ASCP 40 Under Forty Top Five honoree of the 2022 class. She is an ASCP mentor, Social Media committee member, Hematology BOC Exam committee member, and founder of the Cell Bowl.
Stephanie Whitehead is the Executive Director of Pathology and Laboratory services, at a large health system in South Texas. Outside of this work, she is a passionate and active leader for several professional organizations. Stephanie currently serves as on the Board of DIrectors for the ASCP as the Chair Elect of the ASCP Council of Laboratory Professionals (CLP). She also serves on the Mentorship, ELMC2 and Diversity Advocacy Committees for the ASCLS. She is a professional mentor through both the ASCP and ASCLS mentorship programs. Stephanie frequently presents at national and state conferences as an expert on advocacy and strategies relevant to the laboratory profession.
Join Team #eLABorate and connect with us!
Podcast Call to Action
We would love to feature YOU!!!
Share your favorite takeaway from today’s episode: Video Review
Be an eLABorate Supporter!
1. Listen on directimpactbroadcasting.com, Spotify, Apple Podcast, or your favorite podcast platform
2. Don’t forget to subscribe to the show on your phone, tablet, or notebook so you never miss an episode!
3. Be sure to leave a comment, and share it with fellow medical laboratory professionals!
4. Join our eLABorate Topics Group on LinkedIn
5. Leave us a Video Review and we will feature you on our Social Media: Video Review
Be a Guest on our show!
If you have a leadership or laboratory message to share and would like to be a guest on the show, please reach out to us by completing the guest interest form or send us an e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.