Episode 18:”Overcoming the Pressure of Lab Leadership”
Co-Hosts Tywauna Wilson, Lona Small, and Stephanie Whitehead discuss various strategies for overcoming the pressures of laboratory leadership.
Key Takeaways from the show:
Challenges for Role Based Leaders (Supervisory positions)
- Asked to do more with less
- Under pressure to follow the status quo even when not beneficial to your team
- Barriers when trying to support team
- Inadequate training to perform in that role
- Inadequate support from Administration
Challenges of Informal Leaders (No formal title)
- Not aware that you are a leader
- Not being accepted by formal/role based leaders
- Not being empowered to lead
- Don’t have authority or courage to enact changes
How to Overcome Challenges
- Coaching and mentoring
- Practice and experience
Benefits of Leadership
- Ability to carry out positive initiatives
- Improves the lives of patients and staff
- Promotes career and personal growth
Be a Supporter!
Listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts or your favorite podcast platform
Don’t forget to subscribe to the show on your phone, tablet or notebook so you never miss an episode!
Be sure to leave a comment, and share with a fellow medical laboratory professionals!
Be a Guest!
If you have a leadership or laboratory message to share and would like to be a guest on the show, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or Direct Impact Broadcasting on Social Media.